How to use the Membership to get a Fine Arts credit
To earn 1/2 credit Fine Arts elective, there are 2 options.
1. Spend about 2 1/2 hours a week all year (36 weeks) on your Fine Arts lessons.
2. Spend about 5 hours total a week for one semester (18 weeks).
To earn a full credit Fine Arts elective:
1. Spend about 5 hours a week all year (36 weeks) on your Fine Arts lessons.
What exactly will you be doing for those 2 1/2 (or 5) hours a week?
Keep track of how much time is spent on the lesson with the Log of Hours sheet. There are suggestions for various activities to do for each lesson. Write in the time spent listening, writing, reading, etc. and try to average 2 1/2 hours (or 5 earning a full credit) per lesson. An example sheet is included below.
Additional activities that are optional, but encouraged:
- Read a Music Appreciation book along with the course to learn even more about the styles and composers. My favorites are listed in the Bibliography section (after Lesson 36).
- Teach or narrate what they have learned to a parent, sibling, or friend.
- Write a 5-paragraph essay, compare/contrast essay, or descriptive essay every week based on the lessons studied.
- Write a research paper based on a topic studied in the course
- Give a speech, using one of the essays or the research paper as a basis. Include a multi-media presentation such as Google slides or Powerpoint if desired.
- Go to a concert, recital, or opera to hear one of the composers or pieces studied in the course.
- Learn to play or sing something from the course.
- Do further research